By now we’ve all heard the news that Gary Ross may not be returning for Catching Fire. It’s sad news that has sent shockwaves across the Hunger Games fan community- partially because Gary has always presented himself as one of us, as a fan. Having a fan in charge of the film meant that the source material was always going to be respected, that the messages of the book would be honored, that our series would be more than just an adaptation— it would be an experience akin to reading the books.
Keeping Gary at the helm for all films in the franchise also means continuity, both in style and theme. It means that we get one complete journey (like in Lord of the Rings) instead of a fragmented mosaic (like in Harry Potter). If any story deserves to be told as one complete journey, it is The Hunger Games.
We want Gary Ross back, and we know you do, too; and, fortunately, with nothing confirmed officially, we may still have time to make a difference in this decision. Fans, especially passionate fans, have made great things happen before. They’ve saved TV shows from cancellation. They’ve brought TV shows back from cancellation. They’ve pushed cancelled TV shows to be extended into feature length films.
Fans have power.
So, today, Tributes, if you want to see Gary Ross in the director’s chair for Catching Fire, we ask that you make your voice heard and sign our video petition. Here’s how it works:
1.) Create a 2-3 minute youtube video asking for Gary Ross to come back for Catching Fire. Be creative! Be impassioned! But, most of all, be courteous— we know you might have a lot of FEELINGS, but remember to be polite.
- At the end of the video, please thank Gary for his work with the film and give him the three finger salute.
- If you get stuck and aren’t sure what to say, here’s a prompt you can follow:
Hi, my name is ________, and I am a fan of The Hunger Games. It means a lot to me and to other fans of the series to have someone directing Catching Fire who is not only successful and talented, but who also loves the series as much as I do.
I believe that person is Gary Ross.
From his devotion to casting the perfect Katniss to his vision of Panem to his dedication to ensuring that the film respects the socially conscious messages of the books, Gary Ross has proven time and time again that he loves this series as much as I do. I want to see his vision continue throughout the rest of the franchise. I want to see who his Finnick is, what his Quarter Quell Arena looks like, how he’ll plant the seeds of revolution in Panem.
I am asking that Gary Ross come back for Catching Fire. As a fan of the books who was sold on the movies because of his commitment, I need him to return.
Thank you to Gary Ross for all of his incredible work.
And thank you for your consideration.
2. Upload your video to YouTube — make sure to do the following:
- Title your video “Gary Ross Is Boss - [Your Name Here]”
- Tag your video with the following: GaryRossIsBoss
*All submissions will be collected and featured on http://www.youtube.com/GaryRossIsBoss
3. Spread the world. Link to this post or to the YouTube page. Share it on Facebook. Tweet it. Tumble it. Get your friends to do it!
4. If you don’t feel comfortable posting a video, send a picture of yourself doing the three finger salute and holding a sign that says Gary Ross Is Boss with the link (youtube.com/garyrossisboss) to GaryRossIsBoss@gmail.com—we’ll compile all the pictures into a youtube video.
So that’s it! Record your videos/submit your pictures, and let’s make sure that the voice of the fans is heard! And, don’t forget:
“Make sure they remember you.”